Zealous criminal defense for traffic, misdemeanor, felony and courts martial

Contact Michele Taylor at once if you have been cited, apprehended, charged, arrested or investigated on allegations of any of the following offenses:

  • DWI/DUI (driving while impaired by alcohol or other drugs)
  • Traffic tickets
  • Underage drinking and driving
  • Violent crimes such as murder
  • Arson
  • Kidnapping
  • Manslaughter
  • Sex offenses
  • Assault and battery
  • Aggravated assault
  • Domestic violence
  • Property crimes, including theft and vandalism
  • Breaking and entering
  • Robbery
  • Burglary
  • Drug offenses (possession, possession with intent to distribute, or manufacture of banned substances)
  • Military crimes
  • Courts martial

Two key rules

  • Speak only with your attorney about your case.
  • Tell the police that you will wait for your attorney before answering questions.

You cannot talk your way out of an arrest. Use your right to remain silent! Following these two rules are particularly true, if you believe you have broken no law.

Mitigate the Harm of a Criminal Arrest With Aggressive Defense

When you’ve been arrested or charged with a crime, you want the best outcome possible. Without a doubt, your future is worth fighting for. A vigorous defense from the very beginning is your best hedge against negative outcomes. Fines, penalties, jail time, a damaging criminal record or sex offender registration are on the line. Depending on the facts, a better outcome may range anywhere from dismissal of your case to reduced charges or reduced penalties.

Zealous knowledgeable representation for post-conviction relief

Even if you are convicted, don't lose hope. You have several options in the trial court, appeals court, even the State Supreme Court. In addition, you may also appeal decisions from district and municipal courts to a superior court for misdemeanor and traffic convictions. These are your rights.

Typically, convictions for state crimes are challenged by an appeal to a state court of appeals. The Washington State Appeals Court, Division II in Tacoma, hears appeals from Kitsap County Superior Court and other superior courts in surrounding counties. Michele Taylor is experienced with these appeals.

If the appellate court rejects the appeal, Michele can pursue your case further with a petition for review with the Washington State Supreme Court. 

Collateral attack provides other options in your trial court. Newly discovered evidence or a change in the law can provide the basis for post-conviction relief. You may also appeal the constitutionality  of your arrest or conviction. Criminal Rule 7.8 provides several other avenues for redress. 

Consult an experienced criminal appellate attorney

If all these options sound complex, they are. And we haven't even discussed the many different deadlines for the various courses of appellate actions. It is best to act now to begin the process of appealing your conviction or sentence.

Experienced attorney to expunge your criminal record and restore firearms rights

Once you have completed all court requirements it is possible to expunge your record in many cases. As you are probably aware, a criminal record presents a hard bar to living your best life. In Washington the process known as vacating a conviction removes the guilty finding from your file and  allows you to legally say that you've not been convicted of that crime.

Once your conviction is vacated you don't have to list it on rental, credit and job applications. It removes a major barrier to good jobs, buying a home or renting an apartment.  If you're ready to move forward, set up an appointment with Michele Taylor to determine if and when you can clear your criminal record.

Waiting periods for vacating convictions

There are different waiting periods for different crimes. The waiting period begins on the date you complete probation and any other requirements of the court.

All categories require that you have complied with all court orders.

  • Misdemeanors, except domestic violence or DUI require no new criminal charges for at least 3 years.
  • Domestic violence misdemeanors require no new criminal charges for 5 years.
  • You cannot vacate a DUI conviction.
  • Vacating Class C felonies require a wait of 5 years with no convictions for felonies or misdemeanors.
  • Vacating a Class B felony requires a waiting period of 10 years with no convictions for felonies or misdemeanors. Some Class B felonies that involve assault or robbery cannot be vacated.
  • Class A felonies cannot be vacated.

Restore your gun rights

Even if you do not plan to own or use a gun again, there is a compelling reason to restore your right to own a firearm. Under certain conditions you could be charged with "constructive possession" of a firearm, even if you do not possess a gun.

In some instances you may be able to get your firearms rights restored before your record is expunged. The rules are complex. A consultation with our criminal defense attorney can help you clarify your situation.

Kitsap County DUI/DWI Attorney

Contact Michele Taylor to schedule an initial consultation with a zealous and knowledgeable Port Orchard criminal defense attorney at GSJones Law Group, P.S.

Michele Taylor, representing the accused, immigration lawyer