We are proud to welcome Larry Lofgren as our newest Associate, focusing on family law and bankruptcy. GSJones Law Group is also excited to offer family law and bankruptcy clients a new Bainbridge Island location. Larry comes to us from a solo practice on Bainbridge Island. You can schedule appointments with Larry at either our main office in Port Orchard or on Bainbridge Island. With additional experience in estate planning law and real estate, he will also strengthen those teams at GSJones Law Group. Continue reading
Co-parenting? Midsummer is a great time for a co-parenting check-in. Even while you and the kids are celebrating all the fun that summer brings, set aside a little time for keeping your co-parenting relationship running smoothly. This review is particularly critical if your child is moving to a new school or there are radical changes to the school schedule. Yet, even if all will remain much the same as last year, it is worth the time to touch base. This can also be an excellent time to review shared rules that evolve as a child grows older. When you talk together, you may find that your co-parent has changed circumstances and s/he may need some adjustments to the parenting plan.
Last minute surprises always put people in a bad mood. So do a little preventive maintenance for your co-parenting relationship.
Gather this information before you talk.
- School and bus schedules
- School holidays
- List of sports and other activities
- Significant new school events, such as graduations, prom, and other events both parents might want to take part in.
- Review what worked well the past year and what problems you can prevent for the coming year.
- Give some thought to rules changes if you have agreed to mutually enforced rules.
And don’t forget your personal schedule constraints.
- Will there be a change in holiday plans this year such as a trip or visiting relatives that need schedule adjustments?
- What about your work schedule? Are there times you know you will be out of town? Will it complicate the hand-off or maybe you’d like to offer extra time to the other parent?
What does your child know about the schedule that you don’t?
Your checklist is not complete until you sit down with your child and find out what they anticipate for the year.
- Are there events not on the official schedule that they are looking forward to?
- How about major parties?
- What about activities? Do they want to drop an activity? Add one?
Do you need any help with getting an agreement for changes?
If your relationship with your ex or co-parent requires a more formal approach with an alteration to the parenting plan, David Jones and John Groseclose are happy to help you make those changes. They have a combined total of more than 40 years experience assisting parents to reach amicable agreements that work and going to court when necessary.
Share any other factors that co-parents need to consider before school begins in the comments below.
Our experienced child custody attorneys stand ready and equipped to provide whatever help you need through the stressful and emotional process of creating and enforcing parenting plans. We know that nothing about separation and divorce is more heart-wrenching and stressful than caring for your children. As a result of the experience our custody team shares, we are equipped to handle your toughest problems. Our services include:
- Strong child custody plans (parenting plan) that work for you and your children
- Acting expeditiously in custody emergencies
- Negotiated agreements that avoid court fights
- Successful representation in high conflict and complex cases
- Custody limitations due to drug, alcohol, and sexual abuse
- Custody limitations due to domestic violence charges
- Representation for grandparents
No firm is better equipped to handle emergencies
Emergencies plague high conflict child custody situations, and we can handle any emergency situation seamlessly. Call GSJones partner John Groseclose after business hours if you have an emergency at 253-381-6395. Even if your child custody lawyer is on vacation or home ill when you need quick action, you don’t need to stress. One of our other lawyers has instant access to your file and is fully qualified to take quick action.
Experienced Port Orchard child custody attorneys offer extensive expertise
John Groseclose, Partner, also serves as a guardian ad litem, representing the interests of children.
David Jones, Managing Partner, has 25+ years of family law experience in Kitsap County.
Larry Lofgren, has 25+ years experience and can meet with you at both our main Port Orchard office and the Bainbridge Island location.
Based in Port Orchard, WA with a location on Bainbridge Island, GSJones Law Group, P.S., represents Kitsap County residents with child custody issues, as well as clients from throughout surrounding counties and communities, including Gig Harbor, Bremerton, Silverdale, Seabeck, Belfair, Banner, Olalla, Poulsbo, Bethel, Navy Yard City, Fernwood, Purdy, Bainbridge Island, Vashon Island and surrounding areas in Mason County, and Jefferson County.