Legal fees generally produce anxiety when you consider consulting a lawyer. This page is designed to take some of the anxiety out of meeting with one of our lawyers.
A quick summary of our legal fees
Consultation Fee – $100 for a 30-minute consult, except personal injury cases
Hourly Rates – per attorney
- David Jones – $275
- John Groseclose – $295
- Norman Short – $300
- Chalmers Johnson – $450
- Michele Taylor – $250
- Larry Lofgren – $250
- Sara Humphries – $250
- Personal injury – See contingency fees below
Hourly Rates for Paralegal and Clerical Cases
- Clerical – $40.00
- Paralegal, Jean Kaio – $150.00
- Assistants – $125.00
Explanation of legal fees
- Consultation Fee: We charge a reduced fee for your first meeting. Both you and our attorney decide whether we can best serve your needs.
- Hourly Rate: With the exception of personal injury cases, we usually charge you for each hour (or portion of an hour) that the lawyer works on your case. There are a few services for which we charge a flat fee.
- Contingency Fees: Percentage of the amount awarded in the case. This fee arrangement is used in personal injury cases. You do not pay a fee if you lose the case.Contingency fee percentages vary. The most common percentages range between one-third and 40%. During the consultation, discuss expected expenses and the payment schedule.
Legal fees: Other possible arrangements
- Flat Fees: In some cases, our attorneys may charge a specific fee for a defined service. We may use flat fees for cases that are uncomplicated.
- Retainer Fees: We use retainers more often than flat fees. Retainers are like down payments. Costs and fees as they arise are billed against the retainer. We place your retainer in a special account and deduct from the account as they arise.